Posted by Dr. Lori Arnold
Dairy-Free Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Sugar-Free, Vegan
1- 13.5 ounce can Full-Fat Coconut Milk (Not light coconut milk. I prefer organic brands like Natural Value as it does not contain carrageenan and other additives.)
10 pitted Dates (I use Medjool Dates. If they are dry, soak them in water first.)
1 cup Homemade Almond Milk (see recipe)
1/3 cup Organic Cocoa or Raw Cacao Powder
1 Tbsp Organic Pure Vanilla Extract
1 Tbsp Organic Almond Extract
Special Appliances: Ice Cream Maker (I use a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker)
Instead of Homemade Almond Milk: Use Unsweetened Vanilla Living Harvest Tempt Hemp Milk, it does not contain Carrageenan or other chemical additives.)
- Refrigerate the can of Coconut Milk overnight. This step is very important!
- Add to high power blender (like Vitamix or equivalent) or food processor and puree until smooth: Coconut Milk and Pitted Dates.
- Add to blender and puree until creamy and smooth: Almond Milk, Cocoa or Raw Cacao, Vanilla Extract, and Almond Extract.
- Add the mixture to ice cream maker. If you do not have an ice cream maker, freeze mixture for about 60 minutes.
- Eat straight from the ice cream machine or freeze for later. You can freeze in individual containers and when you want a serving, defrost a container for 10-15 minutes to soften the ice cream.
- TIP: For chocolate lovers, add ½ cup Dark Chocolate Chips 5 minutes before ice cream machine is finished, or add to mixture before freezing. (I prefer Lily’s brand, as it is sugar-free and made with stevia and erythritol for sweetener).