Posted by Dr. Lori Arnold
Chicken Meatballs with Basil Pesto in Spaghetti Squash Cups
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Sugar-Free, Low Carb, Paleo-Friendly
Ingredients for MEATBALLS:
1 lb. Organic Free-Range Hormone-Free Ground Chicken Breast
1 small Organic Zucchini, chopped
1 cup Fresh Organic Crimini Mushrooms, chopped
4 Tbsp. Almond Flour
2 Tbsp. Ground Flaxseed
¼ cup Fresh Parsley
¼ cup Fresh Basil
½ tsp. Dried Oregano
½ tsp. Dried Thyme
1 medium Organic Free-Range Egg
3-4 Tbsp. Organic Coconut Oil
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Instructions for MEATBALLS:
- Add to food processor: mushrooms, zucchini, fresh basil, and fresh parsley. Pulse until finely chopped.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, contents of food processor, thyme, oregano, almond flour, flaxseed, egg and salt and pepper. Mix ingredients well… use your hands!
- In a large skillet, heat half of the coconut oil. When oil is hot, spoon meatball-sized balls (will be a little wet from the wet ingredients) into the pan. Sauté 5-6 meatballs at a time on medium-high heat, turning until all sides are browned. Reserve remainder of coconut oil for additional batches until all meat is cooked.
- Set meatballs aside until spaghetti squash is cooked.
Ingredients for PESTO:
1 cup fresh Organic Basil, tightly packed
1/3 cup fresh Organic Parsley
1-2 small cloves fresh Organic Garlic
½ cup Raw Pine Nuts
½ cup Cold-Pressed Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
¼ – ½ tsp. Himalayan Sea Salt, to taste
Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste
Instructions for PESTO:
- Place basil, parsley, garlic, pine nuts, and olive oil in a food processor and pulse until smooth consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Set aside until spaghetti squash is cooked.
Ingredients for Squash:
1 medium Spaghetti Squash
3 medium Organic Free-Range Egg-Whites, whisked
Coconut Oil Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut spaghetti squash length-wise down the middle and clean out “guts”. Place squash on baking pan, cut side down, and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- When squash is done, remove from oven. Use a fork to “loosen” the strands so it looks like spaghetti noodles.
- Reduce oven heat to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked spaghetti squash and egg whites.
- Spray a muffin pan with coconut oil cooking spray. Spoon enough spaghetti squash mix into each muffin tin, pressing down the middle to make a nest for the meatball.
- Place one cooked meatball on top of each spaghetti muffin and place in oven.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. May require extra time if needed.
- Remove from oven and serve on a plate with a dollop of Basil Pesto on each “muffin”.
- TIP: You may garnish with fresh herbs and chopped tomato if you want extra flavor and color.