Can Dementia and Alzheimer’s Be Reversed?
A very informative video was posted of an interview Dr. Mark Hyman did at the Cleveland Clinic. This was such an incredible interview, I wanted to take notes and supply you with the “Cliff Notes” version of this interview, plus a few of my own thoughts sprinkled in.
Dementia and Alzheimers, could these conditions be REVERSED? How interesting is this concept? THIS is why I have studied FunctionalMedicine for 6 years and have left my “traditional” thinking that there is a medicine for everything. WHAT IF the medicine is the CAUSE of the condition? Dementia and Alzheimers could have several root causes. What should we consider?
1. Are you on a STATIN drug for cholesterol? These meds suppress cholesterol and block the ability of your body to making this critical hormone that is the precursor to ALL of your sex hormones like estrogen, testosterone, and progesterone. Your BRAIN is 60% FAT, therefore, requires good quality fats to work more effectively. Many studies have shown STATIN drugs are directly linked to dementia.
2. Do you have Leaky Gut and Digestive Issues? A malfunctioning gut will deny your brain of critical nutrients, including Vitamin D, and other fat soluble vitamins like Vitamins A, E, and K, as well as water soluble vitamins like Vitamin B12 and all the B Complex Vitamins. All of these nutrients are needed for brain functioning.
3. Do you, or have you, taken a PPI drug like Nexium, Prilosec, Aciphex, etc? These meds stop the production of stomach acid causing a myriad of health issues from bad bacterial overgrowth to the inability to digest dietary proteins and extreme constipation causing you to reabsorb toxins from your food.
4. Have you been exposed to MOLD or mycotoxins? Mold poisoning (which I know firsthand since I had this and reversed it in myself) can cause many symptoms in your body, one major side effect is BRAIN FOG which can look like Dementia!
5. Do you have MERCURY AMALGAMS in your mouth? It has been found in several studies that mercury can leach into your system from amalgams that have been in your mouth for 20-30 years! NEVER let a dentist put these in your mouth… as they are still putting this very toxic heavy metal in fillings today because they are cheap!!!
6. Do you eat a lot of sugar? Dietary factors such as pre diabetes and diabetes can cause dementia, and the medications for diabetes are directly linked to dementia. Adopting a ketogenic diet and eliminating all sources of refined sugar are key to helping with control of erratic blood sugar levels and insulin and leptin resistance.
These are just a few of the top level discussions that are heard during this video. THIS is the approach I take when interviewing my clients in consultations. Epigenetic Hair Testing can help identify heavy metal toxicity, and even point to nutrient deficiencies and potential leaky gut issues. A thorough medication history and medication review by an Integrative Pharmacist is recommended to pinpoint YOUR root cause.
Contact me today at DrLori@HealYourselfBeautiful.com to schedule your appointment in person, on the phone or via Skype.
YOUR HEALTH IS YOUR GREATEST WEALTH!!!
Tags: #AskDrLori, Adverse Drug Events, Alzheimers Disease, Cognition, Dementia, Drug Side Effects, Integrative Pharmacist, medication safety, Memory, Nexium, Patient Safety, Pharmacist, PPI, safe medication, Statins, Undrugged, Zocor